Our oral health is both the most important and the most neglected aspect of our lives. In our fast paced lifestyle we often forget the imperativeness of a proper diet and dental care, as a result of which dental problems are on the rise and affect people of all ages. According to the dentists in Newmarket, sensitivity is one such problem that can have serious repercussions if ignored. So, the next time you experience a mild or severe discomfort when you drink or eat something hot or cold, you must visit a dental clinic Newmarket.
Sensitivity is caused when the hard protective enamel gets worn off exposing the underlying dentin that harbours nerve endings, which gets irritated when we eat and drink. The layer of enamel is thinnest in the area where the tooth and gum meet and therefore, is more susceptible to sensitivity. Dentists in Newmarket outline some of the factors that lead to sensitivity:
- Varied eating habits: consumption of acidic food and drinks have a corroding effect on the enamel which in turn exposes the dentin.
- Dental trauma: injuries often leave chipped or broken tooth which uncovers the dentin.
- Periodontal diseases: gum diseases often lead to shrinking of the gums thereby, leaving the root of the tooth exposed.
- Damaged or broken fillings: fillings fill the gaping hole in our teeth and protects it from contamination and inflammation. When it comes out or is damaged the root is exposed making it prone to sensitivity.
- Tooth brush abrasion: dentists in Newmarket are of the opinion that proper brushing technique is also of considerable importance, as vigorous and tactless brushing can wear off the enamel.
- Tooth grinding: some people have the habit of grinding their teeth when they are angry or sometimes even when they are sleeping. Constant grinding erodes the protective enamel.
For more information, visit http://www.eastriverdental.com/ or call on 905-895-8031.