A cancerous tissue that grows in the oral cavity, commonly in the people over 40 years is called as oral cancer. The cancer starts in tongue and gradually spreads in the mouth walls through the lymphatic system. Early detection of this cancer can help with timely prognosis. Regular checkups with a dentist in Newmarket can help you report about any changes in the mouth, such as swelling, spots, discolorations, ulcers, etc. in a timely way. If you are even slightly doubtful about oral cancer, talk your dentist immediately.
Common causes of Oral Cancer:
- Tobacco is one of the prominent causes that increase the risk of oral cancer. Around 80% of cases of oral cancer are due to consumption of tobacco. What may further increase the risk of oral cancer is alcohol consumption.
- An unhealthy diet, usually low in green veggies can cause mouth cancer. Including more veggies and fruits in your diet can reduce the risk of such cancer.
- One of the known causes of mouth cancer is sun exposure.
Signs and Symptoms
Some of the common signs and symptoms associated with oral cancer are as follows:
- A painless lump
- An ulcer
- White patches in mouth
- Sore gums
- Swollen lymph glands
- A blood blister
- Ear ache
All these symptoms should be reportedly to your dentist in Newmarket with urgently.
How to prevent Oral Cancer?
- Quit smoking as tobacco consumption is the major cause for mouth cancer.
- Cut down on consumption of alcohol if you cannot completely give up on it.
- Make sure you follow a proper dental regimen, i.e. brushing and flossing daily.
- Keep yourself away from direct sunlight. If it is important to go out in sun, use an umbrella.
- Lastly but most importantly, keep visiting your dentist in Newmarket, every two months, to keep your oral hygiene in place.
For more information, visit www.eastriverdental.com or call on 905-895-8031.