Nightguard is an appliance which helps prevent damage to the teeth and to the jaw joint in people that grind their teeth at night. Typical symptoms of night-grinders are heavily worn down teeth and jaw pain in the morning.
If you have been prescribed a nightguard, an estimate will be sent to the insurance. During the first appointment, a mold of your upper/lower teeth and your bite will be taken and sent to the lab. Your nightguard should be ready to be picked up in a week. Following are some instructions to follow to care for your nightguard:
* Thoroughly brush and floss your teeth before wearing the appliance.
* Soften the appliance in hot tap water before placing in your mouth.
* Use your finger to place the appliance over your teeth.
* DO NOT eat or drink while the appliance is in place.
* In the morning, use your toothbrush and toothpaste to clean the appliance after removing it.
* The appliance may also be cleaned by soaking it in retainer cleaners such as Polident no more than once a month.
* Bring the appliance to all appointments (adjustments may be necessary).